Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Queen Sofia Laments Gays

As I come to terms with my own mini-financial crisis, journalist and blogger Chris Crain notes on his blog Spanish Queen Sofia used less than flattering words to describe gay men in passages contained within Pilar Urbano's book "The Queen Up Close."

The Greek-born monarch said she failed to understand why gay men should feel proud to be gay. She also questioned why her fellow Spaniards choose to partake in pride celebrations around the country each year. The palace was quick to point out it feels Urbano took the queen's comments out of context, but I can only imagine the initial response of all those chicos con pluma in Chueca and Eixample towards their monarch. It would almost certainly be cause for another sangria and tapa at one of the innumerable Granadino bars at which I spent a great deal of time during the months I lived in AndalucĂ­a. Priceless!

No comments: