Monday, August 31, 2009

From Pier 11 to Red Hook

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful late August day in New York. The humidity was low. A refreshing breeze cleaned the air. And I spent the afternoon at Ikea in Red Hook picking up some long-delayed odds and ends for my apartment.

I am certainly not a fan of expansive box stores, but I confess I take a trip to Ikea or Target in Brooklyn or on Long Island once or twice a year. Part of the "fun" of the trip was the free water taxi from Pier 11 in lower Manhattan to Red Hook. There is truly no better way to see New York, and here are some snapshots from the afternoon.



Brooklyn Bridge from Pier 11



A crane along the Red Hook waterfront



The lower Manhattan skyline with Governor's Island in the foreground



Wall Street and lower Manhattan

No comments: