Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Thoughts of a Brooklynite on Fire Island

Yesterday morning marked the first time in nearly a year since I stepped foot onto Fire Island. I wrote for the Fire Island News two summers ago and my former publisher asked me to return to the beach once again to cover the ubiquotously gay enclaves of Cherry Grove and the Fire Island Pines for the remainder of this summer. I reconnected with several old friends -- Jack and Rita Lichtenstein, Gary Clinton, Barbara Ann Levy, CJ Mignorelli and Marco Herrera and Porsche. I also hung out with WNYC reporter Richard Hake, Jack Schlegel and even Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation President Neil Giuliano in the Pines. I won't bore readers with any additional resemblances of a gossip column but it was simply wonderful to return to such a wonderful place after so much time away. Fire Island certainly has its share of drama, personal egos and questionable business [and personal] practices. There remains, however, an energy which simply does not exist in most other places. It is equally wonderful to reconnect with old -- and new -- friends and have a second opportunity to write on the beach once again.

No comments: