Thursday, May 14, 2009

RIP Susan Willis

I awoke this morning to an e-mail from one of my Fire Island columnists that said beloved actress Susan Willis had passed away last night after suffering a stroke.

Born in Ohio, her career spanned more than 50 years. Willis appeared in "Cabaret," "Gypsy," "The Merchant of Venice" and "Fiddler on the Roof." She also appeared in "All My Children" and dozens of other movies.

Willis discussed some of her innumerable roles in an interview with the Fire Island News in 2005.

"I am usually the nosey neighbor who spills the beans and knows where the bodies are," she joked.

Willis summered in the Fire Island Pines and was a beloved resident. And on a personal note, she remains one of the most fascinating and frankly interesting people I have ever interviewed. Rest in peace Sue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue was definitely one of the most interesting people you will ever meet. Hard as you might try, you couldn't catch her frowning. She lit up a room with her smile. She used to get up every morning at the crack of dawn and swim laps in our (non-heated) pool, even in April in Ohio! She took great care of herself. I'll never forget her giggle. I'm going to miss you, Aunt Sue. A very special lady who inspired us all.
Peg.