Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Momentarily Reflection

Today is day four of my EDGE editorship and I'm finally beginning to get a feel for what to expect and how to work with my writers. My other deadlines continue unabated but my mother pitched a story to me earlier this week about her company's grant to enhance the Gay Men's Domestic Violence Project's hot line to Rhode Island and Connecticut. Parents are often... well... parents but my mother's pitch confirmed how fortunate I am to have loved ones who are comfortable with their son's sexual orientation. New York City remains a bubble in a country which remains largely uncomfortable with talking about sexual orientation (and gender identity and expression). The movement for LGBT rights arguably focuses on the political implications of these conversations without acknowledging the basic humanity behind it. My mother's pitch once again acknowledged my humanity but confirmed much, much more. Thanks Mom!

No comments: