Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Random reflections from New York

With Pride month in full-swing here in New York, a number of random thoughts continue to go through my mind as I sit in my apartment in Bushwick at this late hour. They include how I can possibly attend at least one Pride-related event over the next two weeks, the joy I felt talking with two Daily News reporters at B Bar in the East Village last night and the anxious feeling I have about my cover story for the Village Voice Pride issue that comes out next Wednesday. This blog is more or less the equivalent of Carrie Bradshaw writing about her socks during an episode in season four of "Sex and the City," or more accurately me simply scraping the bottom of the barrel after hours of writing and editing stories for EDGE.

The parallel to my random thoughts is LGBT New York, as an entity, is arguably a combination of random events, people, occurrences, etc. that are drawn together in some sort of systematic combination of politics, culture and mere existence. These events, people, occurrences and other things all help to create the gay (or lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer or gender non-conforming) world in which many of us live. The reality that is gay and lesbian Fire Island remains alive and well for me. Randomness, on the other hand, such as this blog, help to at least slightly alter it.

1 comment:

Hrag said...

Michael...that's great! I can't wait to see you Voice story!!!