Monday, September 8, 2008

Yet more random thoughts from a New Yorker

Boy does it feel great to be back in the city! The past few days have felt like a long-awaited reunion with a loved one (in this case New York) whom I have not seen in several years (more like four months with a few brief interludes thrown in for good measure). Okay. Enough of the overtly-romantic Carrie Bradshaw-inspired cliches, but it remains great to be back home in the city I love after nearly four months on the beach.

A few of the random observations I noted to myself this weekend include a gaggle of gays in much better shape than I sunning themselves on the Christopher Street Pier in the post-Hanna sun yesterday, making homemade hummus for my roommate and his visiting friend from Ohio and watching gay men literally jump for joy inside Gym Bar after Serena Williams won the U.S. Open last night. Gotham is not all milk and honey, however, as the fact I locked myself out of my apartment for more than 12 hours because I failed to take the key to the outside door to my building off my key chain before heading to Krash in Manhattan. My friend Andre in Clinton Hill fortunately responded to my 3:30 a.m. text message and allowed me to crash in his apartment to the next day. I was tired and a hot mess because of the humidity, but at least Hanna's rains had yet to begin.

So there's my first New York weekend in more than four months in a nutshell. No politics. No beach. And most importantly no crazy share houses... and thanks to anyone who even remotely allowed me to indulge in a bit of Gotham romanticism a la Bradshaw!

No comments: