Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fire Island 2011: Oh Mary!

Started writing at 8:06 a.m. on Tuesday, July 5, while uploading Invasion pictures in Ocean Beach.

My voice remains hoarse, my feet are somewhat covered with mosquito bites, I still have bright pink nail polish on my finger and toenails and I am in somewhat of a desperate need for a shower, but it was certainly one hell of a July 4 weekend on Fire Island.

Dancing at Cherry’s in Cherry Grove was a recurring theme over the last few days, while DJs Susan Morabito and Lina provided additional soundtracks at Low Tea and Sip n’ Twirl. Some scantily clad Mormon missionaries found their way onto the dance floor at IndepenDANCE at Reflections in the Pines. And I also found myself dancing with new friends from Fort Lauderdale whom I met at Andy Tobias’ annual July 4 clam bake at High Tea and the Pavilion. I had so much fun that the water taxi literally turned around to pick me up. It certainly would have been a long walk back to Ocean Beach, but a higher power sometimes works in rather mysterious ways.

July 4 on Fire Island would not be complete without the annual Invasion—coming into the Pines harbor with thousands of people cheering for the hundreds of drag queens on the ferry is without a doubt the best moment of the summer. Miss Fire Island News sported a floral frock with pink Gucci knock-off sunglasses (from Canal Street) with a matching wand and transparent handbag. She also sported a curly white wig and six-plus inch platform shoes that nearly caused multiple footwear malfunctions. All in all, she survived the treacherous Pines and Grove boardwalks and reveled in the moment alongside Lady Gaga, Sarah Palin, Mona Lisa, the late Princess Diana and hundreds of other queens who made the journey.

Miss Fire Island News thanks Alejandro for finding her fabulous frock among the $10 rummage pile at the Drag Tag sale in the Grove and Doreen for coaching her on how to properly walk in heels.

No comments: