Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Back to Brooklyn

All good things must come to an end (at least temporarily,) but I have begun the trip back to Brooklyn after five wonderful days in Key West.

I confess I have not slept since 8 a.m. yesterday, but strangely enough I don't feel overly tired. I spent yesterday afternoon at the Island House pool working on my Key West story for the Guide, meeting a contact for coffee and simply hanging out with others who came on the trip. I spent 15 minutes looking for the key to unlock my bike, but the copious amounts of grilled pork, rice and beans and Cuban bread at El Siboney quickly evaporated my exacerbation.

The annual Headdress Ball, which literally took place 20 feet from my room at the Southernmost Hotel, demonstrated the abundance of creativity, kitsch and downright raunchiness for which Conchs are known. I interviewed the Joe Schroeder, owner of Bourbon Street, the manager of the Island House and Fantasy Fest 2009 king Ralph Garcia, who tends bar at La Te Da on lower Duval Street. And I eventually found my way to both Bourbon Street and Saloon One. Let's just say my sarong was an immediate hit among party goers.

I will post additional pictures tomorrow, but here is a video of the last few minutes of the flight from Miami to Key West on Friday afternoon. The slow Internet connection prevented me from posting it earlier, but it really gives a sense of how small the Florida Keys really are. Enjoy!

No comments: