Friday, October 16, 2009

Reflecting upon a tumultuous week

October has traditionally provided an abundance of fundraisers, parties and other events that usually keeps this journalist particularly busy in the weeks leading up to Halloween. This month is certainly no exception, but the past few days have proven particularly tumultuous.

I spent last Sunday with a group of nearly 100 Queens activists who took part in the National Equality March. The weather was gorgeous; the energy was certainly palpable and the march arguably energized its participants to return home and lobby for LGBT rights. The sad reality, however, remains many of those with whom I rode the bus to Washington found themselves at a press conference in front of a Flushing hospital literally hours after they returned to Queens to denounce a particularly brutal anti-gay hate crime in College Point.

Daniel Aleman and Daniel Rodriguez, Jr., allegedly beat Jack Price outside a College Point deli around 3 a.m. on Oct. 9. Price suffered a broken jaw, a collapsed lung, a ruptured spleen and other injuries. Doctors placed him in a medically induced coma, but local media reports indicate has begun to recover from his injuries.

One of Rodriguez's friends told WABC reporter Josh Einiger earlier this week he felt Price deserved what he described as a "beat down" because he had "propositioned men in the neighborhood" and "even had blown his assailants a kiss."

"I mean I don't want no man blowing me a kiss either," Marcel Gelmi said. "I've been beat up like that too, but you don't see me on the news and my family crying and this and that. Wounds heal."

Those in Queens and from other areas of the city who plan to march along College Point Avenue tomorrow will almost certainly have something to say to Gelmi and others who feel those continue to justify the attack against Price, but here is my own challenge: Look me in the eye and tell me I deserve a beat down simply because I am gay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"here is my own challenge: Look me in the eye and tell me I deserve a beat down simply because I am gay."

Agreed. My suggestion is that he get several other Leviticus passages tattooed to his body, chiefly those that he himself has violated or those his friends violated when they assaulted Mr. Price.

Among these: do not tattoo your body, do not steal from your neighbor, do not bring harm to others, do not endanger your neighbor's life, do not seek revenge. There are many, many more.

Of course I realize that he might run out of skin after a while. But then he started himself down this path...

Good reporting.