Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Super Duper Tuesday in Bushwick

As a native Granite Stater, I often take for granted my vote actually counted for something. I voted in the first-in-the-nation presidential primary in both 2000 (for U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)) and 2004 (for former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean.) And moving to New York State, I thought it would not matter as much -- but I was wrong at least this year.

I proudly voted for U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) yesterday here in Bushwick and while my arguably over-romanticized description may have held true in other primary cycles, Super Tuesday marked the first time in decades voters in New York and other states could have arguably influenced the process by which their respective parties choose their nominee for president. No small task as various pundits and others have pointed out time and time again today.

The campaign is far from over, however, as candidates continue to cross the country in search of votes. American voters -- at least those in the more than 30 states who have already voted or caucused -- can arguably take a sigh of relief the campaigns have moved onto someone else's backyard. But the games will obviously continue as one of the most important campaigns in history moves forward. Enjoy!

No comments: