Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A sudden detour to Miami

The seven inches of rain that inundated Key West this morning and a few hours ago delayed my flight out of Key West tonight, and as a result I missed my connecting flight to Miami. I will return to New York tomorrow morning, but for tonight I am in Miami.

Key West remains one of my favorite places in the world, and the vast majority of this trip simply enhanced my own self-serving bias. I spent a couple of dry hours earlier this afternoon wandering through Old Town before heading to the airport. And yesterday I spent nearly five hours out on Garden Key in the Dry Tortugas. Fort Jefferson, a massive structure built to protect the Florida Keys during the civil war, occupies more than 75 percent of the windswept island. It lays 70 miles west of Key West in the Gulf of Mexico. And it is certainly the most isolated place I have visited--and a blissful world away from New York's hustle and bustle.

I return to Brooklyn tomorrow, but attached are some pictures from the trip.

Enjoy!




Key West Lighthouse




Ballast Key




Approaching Fort Jefferson on Garden Key




Fort Jefferson and it's moat




Inside the fort




Looking out to sea from inside the fort




Inside the fort




My Fantasy Fest mask from Walgreen's




Headdress Ball second runner-up




Key West bipartisanship




White Street in front of the Island House after four inches of rain fell in less than three hours. (My apartment is on the first floor of the building in the foreground)




A flood casualty




Donkey Milk Lane in Old Town




A rooster hanging out near Duval Street

No comments: